About ASCIA anaphylaxis e-training for health professionals
ASCIA anaphylaxis e-training for health professionals (AATHP) has been developed by the Australasian Society of Clinical Immunology and Allergy (ASCIA) to provide ready access to reliable anaphylaxis education throughout Australia and New Zealand at no charge.
Development of ASCIA anaphylaxis e-training for health professionals has included an extensive review process involving ASCIA members and representatives from other medical organisations.
- May 2013 (Version 2.1)
- January 2013 (Version 2.0)
- April 2014 (Version 3.0)
- November 2015 (version 4.0)
- June 2017 (version 5.0)
Version 5 has been updated to incorporate updated ASCIA Action Plans and changes to EpiPen® and EpiPen®Jr adrenaline (epinephrine) autoinjectors. The devices have not changed, just the instructions on the label, which now include:
- Reduced injection time from 10 to 3 seconds – this is based on research confirming efficacy and delivery of adrenaline through the 3 second delivery.
- Removal of the massage step after the injection – this has been found to reduce the risk of tissue irritation.
EpiPen®s with a 10 second label can continue to be used and should not be replaced unless they have been used, are just about to expire or have expired.
All EpiPen®s should now be held in place for 3 seconds, regardless of the instructions on the label. However, if they are held for 10 seconds it will not affect the way that the adrenaline works.
- A username and password must be obtained from the health professionals e-training website registration process to participate in a course.
- The course comprises nine modules which ideally should be completed in order.
- Modules 1-7 have evaluations that allow you to monitor your understanding.
- The overall course assessment and certificate is provided in Module 8 where final assessment is undertaken for Modules 1-7.
- You can undertake this course at your own pace.
- To obtain a Certificate of Completion for ASCIA anaphylaxis e-training for health professionals a result of 80% or higher is required for the Final Assessment in Module 8. If this result is not obtained on the first attempt, you may reattempt the assessment after reviewing the course content.
- The Certificate of Completion is available as PDF for you to save or print for your own record.